On 27th February, Squire & Partners hosted a Site visit for our Stephen Lawrence Bursary recipients. The Bellefields project, based in the heart of Brixton and designed by Architects Squire & Partners, is currently still being built – which gave our students a perfect insight into the construction process of a development of this size.
The new Bellefields building will sit as an annexe to Squire & Partners’ existing building ‘The Department Store’ which was a local Brixton landmark originally built in 1906. The once abandoned Department Store is now Squire & Partners main office and offers a series of collaborative workspaces and a constantly evolving hub of creative, retail and community uses. When redesigning The Department Store, Architects ensured that the design of the re imagined space had been informed by the existing fabric and layers of history, elements which will also be used throughout the new building.
Our Alumni were shown around the new site by a director at the practice, who went into detail on all aspect of the build, from the materials being used to the actual logistics of building a development of that size and what the process involved.
Our students also got a chance to have a Q&A with the Construction Foreman which gave them a further insight into what happens on site once the architects main job is complete.